United States Power Squadrons – America’s Boating Club announced today that as part of its charitable partnership with the Newport International Boat Show, the organization will offer free educational seminars across a variety of topics at the Show. The Newport International Boat Show is the largest boat show in New England and will take place from Thursday, September 13th to Sunday, September 16th, 2018 in Newport, Rhode Island. America’s Boating Club, well-known for its courses that enhance boaters’ knowledge and skills while having fun on the water, will offer five hour-long seminars at no cost. In an effort to enhance the educational experience for showgoers, there will be several time slots available for each seminar.
Seminars will include:
- How to Read the Weather prepares boaters on how to recognize and prepare for any type of weather, and how different weather affects the boating experience. The seminar will be held on Thursday and Friday, September 13th & 14th, at 11:00 a.m., and on Saturday, September 15th, at 10:00 a.m.
- The About AIS (Automatic Identification Systems) teaches the basics of AIS and how it’s a valuable tool in vessel communication and navigating crowded waterways. This course will take place on Friday, September 14th, at 1:00 p.m., Saturday, September 15th, at 11:15 a.m., and Sunday, September 16th, at 10:00 a.m.
- How to Use a Modern VHF/DSC Marine Radio equips boaters with knowledge about how VHF radio functions for both routine and emergency communications. The seminar is offered on Friday, September 14th, at 2:30 p.m., Saturday, September 15th, at 1:00 p.m., and Sunday, September 16th, at 11:15 a.m.
- Using Radar explains the benefits and limitations of radar as a piloting aid while reviewing the basics. This seminar will take place on Thursday, September 13th, at 1:00 p.m., Saturday, September 15th, at 2:30 p.m., and Sunday, September 16th, at 1:00 p.m.
- Anchoring Techniques will teach proper anchoring techniques, provide tips for different area anchoring and how to handle common issues and problems involved with anchoring. This course will be offered on Thursday, September 13th, and Sunday, September 16th, at 2:30 p.m.
“As the charitable partner of the Newport International Boat Show, we wanted to offer free courses that we truly believe will be beneficial to visitors of the Show,” said Gary Cheney, chief commander, United States Power Squadrons. “The courses are designed for the general boating public, so we are really excited for the opportunity to educate as well as let showgoers know more about our organization.”
To learn more information and to register for these courses, please visit newportboatshow.com.